Getting started with developing with budgie-remix
budgie-remix is hosted on GitHub for development. For anyone who wishes to contribute to the development of budgie-remix, this article is the starting point.
It consists of a number of sub-projects – some are still work in progress. Obviously the number of sub-projects will grow as the project matures – below is the current structure:
budgie-desktop-environment is the starting point for the distro. It is a meta package consists of two parts:
- Depends: this installs all the necessary packages building upon the mini.iso minimal Ubuntu install.
- Recommends: this installs all the desktop packages like rhythmbox which the end-users see and use out of the box.
budgie-desktop is the upstream budgie desktop itself together with any Ubuntu specific patches
budgie-remix-lightdm-theme configures the LightDM theme and live CD autologin configuration files.
In the Debian package itself it has the gsettings override file central to budgie-remix; all the key customisation settings are done here:
- screensaver and desktop background initial wallpaper
budgie-xfdashboard configures xfdashboard for budgie; defines a theme together with initial defaults per user autostarted on logon
budgie-isohelper contains stuff to create an iso:
- reworked PinguyBuilder deb package stripped of unnecessary dependencies together with a base config file.
arc-theme is the upstream arc-theme together with the Debian package to install it.
plymouth-theme is the budgie-remix plymouth files displayed when booting
budgie-wallpapers consists of wallpaper jpegs including the key screensaver and desktop background wallpaper file itself
The whole project is built upon the mini iso
- Connect the downloaded ISO to virtualbox
- Boot and accept all the defaults – no desktop is installed
- Install budgie-remix as follows
sudo apt-get install -y software-properties-common sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:fossfreedom/testbudgie sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install -y budge-desktop-environment
That’s it – simple!