Unusually early this time, Rhythmbox 3.4 has been released.
Its available for Yakkety users – but I’ve done some judicious hacking and its now also available for 16.04 users as well.
(screenshot taken with rhythmbox 3.4 + my alternative-toolbar plugin)
Thanks to the key Rhythmbox maintainerwe have a good release that incorporates a variety of fixes and improvements over the rhythmbox 3.3 available in xenial by default.
This version contains the following
Overview of changes in Rhythmbox 3.4
- New web-control plugin –> I couldn’t get this to work in Yakkety nor Xenial so lets skip over this bit…
- Grilo plugin now uses Grilo 0.3 –> only relevant to Yakkety, downgraded in Xenial due to the older Grilo available
- Soundcloud plugin fetches more search results and allows pausing
- No longer uses webkit (partly due to OpenBSD W^X enforcement)–>my plugin coverart browser is broken due to GTK3.18 changes in xenial. This webkit change basically will necessitate a rewrite😦
- Slightly better handling of keyboard shortcuts for playback
- Core and some plugin data files compiled into binaries using GResources
Bugs fixed: 703910 Entering then leaving Party Mode breaks the app menu; Party Mode status incorrectly reported 721926 TerraParser (lyric's plugin) is not fetching lyrics correctly 759589 grilo: Port to 0.3.0 765833 [regression] Cover art shown superposed over the song titles and artist names when cover art is disabled 766584 Referenced website replaygain.org is not about ReplayGain 767318 Use correct pkg-config binary 767466 daap: Fix warnings when configuring music sharing 767524 "To translators: the context is" doesn't continue the sentence 768545 Cannot change MP4 encoder settings 769404 Memory leak
Stock Ubuntu 16.04 users should definitely benefit for 12+ months worth of bug-fixes and refinements.
If you are using my plugin alternative-toolbar this version of rhythmbox introduces a nasty regression and breaks the plugin. I’ve fixed this now for xenial users and is available in my rhythmbox-plugins PPA or via GitHub. I’ve uploaded a fix to Debian Unstable and have created a bug-report on launchpad requesting a resync from Debian for Yakkety.
If you are looking to have the latest, I’ve packaged this together and is now available in my Rhythmbox PPA. This PPA contains the existing Ubuntu patchwork – hide on close, support for local and global menu etc. N.B. – I tend to update my PPA as and when I’m investigating what is new in upstream Rhythmbox.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fossfreedom/rhythmbox
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt full-upgrade
Note: sometimes the upgrade doesn’t quite work. If you get a segmentation fault repeatedly on startup then uninstall and reinstall rhythmbox
sudo apt-get purge rhythmbox rhythmbox-plugins rhythmbox-data librhythmbox-core10 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install rhythmbox