The latest version of budgie-desktop v10.2.3 is now available. Instructions below allow you to install this on Ubuntu 15.10 & 16.04.
Note – I’ve tried to create a PPA for this but budgie just doesnt want to be debianized for me 😦 EDIT (15 Feb 2016): Solved – PPA is now available)
First what’s new.
- Raven autohides. Raven now disappears when another window is displayed. Very useful and it greatly improves your workflow.
- Multi-battery icon. If your laptop has more than one battery, the power for each is now displayed
- The start button icon change. Perceived as “ugly” there is a new start button icon
- Theme fixes. Various issues around the theme and displaying windows and dialogs have been fixed.
- Popovers. Popover (popup) windows are correctly displayed with shadows.
- Tasklist display. The ugly dotted line around apps that were is focus has been removed.
- Raven more compact: better use of descriptions makes Raven look much better
- … and lots of crash fixes make for a more stable desktop-environment
Install budgie-desktop 10.2.3
sudo apt-get -y install libglib2.0-dev libgtk-3-dev libpeas-dev libpulse-dev libgnome-desktop-dev libmutter-dev libgnome-menu-3-dev libwnck-dev libupower-glib-dev libtool valac uuid-dev libgnome-desktop-3-dev gsettings-desktop-schemas-dev intltool libwnck-3-dev libpolkit-agent-1-dev libpolkit-gobject-1-dev gtk-doc-tools wget https://github.com/solus-project/budgie-desktop/releases/download/v10.2.3/budgie-desktop-10.2.3.tar.xz tar -xvf budgie-desktop-10.2.3.tar.xz cd budgie-desktop-10.2.3 aclocal autoreconf ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib make sudo make install sudo apt-get -y install mutter gnome-settings-daemon gnome-control-center gnome-shell-common gnome-themes-standard-data gnome-session
Ambiance isnt a good fit for budgie. My suggestion is to use Arc
sudo apt-get install git git clone https://github.com/horst3180/arc-theme --depth 1 && cd arc-theme ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr sudo make install
Use gnome-tweak-tool to change the theme – or logout and login again and change the theme in Raven
Also remember to use gnome-tweak-tool and change to using “Global Dark Theme”
Moka Icon Theme
The ubuntu icon theme really doesn’t work with budgie-desktop. Adwaita is much better.
Personally I would use moka:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:moka/stable sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install moka-icon-theme